Sunday, June 18, 2006

How to Encounter Jesus’ Fiery Affections


A teaching by Diane Bickle
I. God’S love: Both the Father and his Son are madly in love with you!


A. 24 Father, I desire that they also, whom Thou hast given Me, be with Me where I am that they may behold My glory, which Thou hast given Me; 25 "O Father, although the world has not known Thee, yet I have known Thee; and these have known that Thou did send Me; 26 and I have made Thy name known to them, and will make it known; that the love wherewith Thou didst love Me may be in them, and I in them." (John 17:24-26)

B. Mary or Martha?

38 A woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. She had a sister, Mary, who was listening to the Lord's word, seated at His feet. But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and came to Him, saying, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Tell her to help me." Jesus answered, "Martha, Martha, you are worried & bothered about so many things; only a few things are necessary, really only one, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:38-42)

C. A Worker or a Lover?

1 "To the angel of the church in Ephesus write:… 2 'I know your deeds and your toil and perseverance, and that you cannot endure evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not… 3 and you have perseverance and have endured for My name's sake, and have not grown weary. 4 ' I have this against you, that you have left your first love. 5 'Remember from where you have fallen, repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you, and will remove your lampstand -- unless you repent.” (Rev. 2:1-5)

D. Do You Know Who Your Husband Is?

24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God. (Deut. 4:24) & (Heb. 12:29)

E. What Does Loving Jesus Look Like?

3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome. (1 John 5:3)

34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. (John 13:34)

II. WHAT DO YOU DESIRE? wHAT do you seek? – JOHN 1:35-46

38 They said, "Rabbi where are You staying?" 39 He said "Come, and you will see." They came and saw where He was staying; & stayed with Him that day, it was about the tenth hour. (John 1:38-39)

41 "We have found the Messiah"... 45 "We have found Him of whom Moses in the Law and also the Prophets wrote, Jesus of Nazareth." 46 Philip said to him," Come and see.” (John 1:41-46)

III. the reward of seeking

A. Jesus bestows true identity – i.e. Simon becomes Peter (v. 42) and Nathaniel is described as being “without guile” ( v. 47).
42 Jesus said, "You are Simon… you shall be called Cephas" (which is translated Peter)…47 Jesus saw Nathanael and said…, "An Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!" (Jn. 1:42-47)

B. True faith is born; God’s Word comes to life

11 This beginning of His signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory, and His disciples believed in Him… 17 His disciples remembered it was written, "Zeal for Thy house will consume me." 22 When He was raised from the dead, His disciples remembered He said this; & they believed the Scripture, and the word which Jesus had spoken. (John 2:11-22)

IV. CultivatING intimacy with jesus

3 "Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest, So is my beloved among the young men. In his shade I took great delight and sat down, And his fruit was sweet to my taste. (Song 2:3)

5 “Who is this coming up from the wilderness, Leaning on her beloved…” (Song 8:5)

37 ...Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If any man is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. 38 "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being shall flow rivers of living water.’” (Jn. 7:37-38)

V. a revelation of his love PRODUCES FAITHFULLNESS

A. Our Choices and His Kindness

32 I shall run the way of Thy commandments, For Thou wilt enlarge my heart. 33 Teach me, O LORD, the way of Thy statutes, And I shall observe it to the end. 34 Give me understanding, that I may observe Thy law, And keep it with all my heart. 35 Make me walk in the path of Thy commandments, For I delight in it. 36 Incline my heart to Thy testimonies, And not to dishonest gain. 37 Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity, And revive me in Thy ways. 38 Establish Thy word to Thy servant, As that which produces reverence for Thee. (Ps. 119:32-38)

B. This Revelation Grants Us Entrance into our Destiny

10 ...that I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; 11 in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. 12 Not that I have already obtained it, or have already become perfect, but I press on in order that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. ( Philp. 3:10-12 )

Watch your thoughts; they lead to your words. Watch your words; they lead to your actions. Watch your actions; they lead to your behavior. Watch your behavior, it leads to your character. Watch your character; it determines your destiny.

1 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger Ana Carolina said...

I love the end of the study!!!!
It's really awesome!!!!
I'll see you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home