Monday, August 21, 2006

ONE THING

Psalm 27: 4 states, One thing I have desired of the LORD, that will I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple.

In the midst of being pursued, chased and slandered by Saul, David makes this statement of genuine desire. Although the prophet Samuel anointed him king, David's "one thing" he cried out for was not the fulfilment of the promise.

I think every individual takes a certain account of their life. Maybe you have asked yourself, “Okay, what do I want to do with my life?” We have all to a certain amount considered, “What do I want to spend my life energies on?” Some take great pain and measure to figure out, “What are my pursuits going to be?” Some will sit down and take a season of six months to take personality tests. I have done that; I have taken personality courses and have sat down to consider the direction of my life.

Because David was already anointed king, I imagine he would he have a conversation like this, “My future is to be the king of Israel, which means I am going to have money. Actually, I am going to be in control of the entire funds of this nation. I am going to have honor and as I walk into a room, people are going to acknowledge me.”

He considered the position of being king of the nation and yet chose something better. He chose something greater than honor, money, wealth and power.

He realized seeking God's beauty was far greater and more interesting. Something more pleasurable and exhilarating than being king.

David's model of pursuing the Lord is an invitation for us. As we live in a culture of many inferior pleasures offered, we must choose to follow the path which David has set out for us. Even in the midst of being hated, he cried out to see God's beauty. Even while riches and honor were offered to him, he cried out to see God's beauty. I believe God offers Himself to every believer as the most rewardable and satisfying pursuit to give yourself to. written by Dwayne Roberts

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home