Sunday, October 22, 2006

So What Are Your Hobbies?


Seems like people ask me this question a lot.

When we ask a question like this, we are seeking to find some common ground. Its not an inheirtently bad question unless the answer reveals you have nothing in common.

Ususally we mean things like sporting activities, artistic abilities, golfing, fishing, hunting, back packing, gardening, working on cars, tinkering around the house. Auto racing, video gaming, etc. My friends spend money, big money, on bikes, boats, and other gear. It ain't bad but if I have (even before life as a prayer missionary) discretionary funds I want to spend it on my wife and kids.

When it comes to the above mentioned activities I like fishing (only when I catch something haven't gone in two years), hiking, and the only thing that resembles a sporting activity that I enjoy is throwing a ball with my kids! A more recent dventure kayaking was a lot of fun. Blogging would be my newest hobbie. I like it because it keeps me connected with people and allows me to "build" something during this season of my life where I am a full time prayer missionary.

Pressed to think about it, my hobbies would be blogging, reading books about God and business. Occassionally fixing a really good meal. Haven't read much business lately. Hanging out with my family and watching a great movie. We just saw Cassablanca...I need a suit and a cool hat! The only time I like a home improvment project is when they are done. BTW, just learned how to replace the lock on a sliding door.

So how do you answer the question..."What are your hobbies?"

2 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Hobby,

As you know I have many engaging hobbies. Who needs Nebraska Furniture Mart, last week I knitted myself a new coffee table. The week before that I installed a new sewer line in our neighborhood. This week I'm rewiring our house with 230 or is that 220? Well...I believe its very important to have viable and meaningful hobbies! Hey...maybe I'll start raising snakes in the basement:)

Waldo of the Emerald Isle

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger ChriS & Yvette Ferguson said...

Waldo, might change a light bulb. Might even change a fixture after watching a DIY show...but 220? Never!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home